Big Jim’s Charters have been in business providing Alaskan adventure and fishing charters for over ten years. Come fish for kings, Coho’s, chum, pinks, and halibut with us and enjoy the scenery of southeast Alaska from our 34′ LUHRS Sport fisher “Hot Rod”.
Cruise in any sea condition at 25 knots. Enjoy our comfortable heated cabin with a large private head (restroom), with plenty of room for 6 to sit in comfort. Enjoy the 13′ beam with lots of room for everyone to fish. Our twin 330 hp Cummins Diesel’s are equipped with trolling valves to slow troll for Salmon. When fishing halibut, we can anchor up on a good hole, or drift over hotspots.
We use and upgrade our top of line Shimano gear annually. We have gear for 6 anglers, both Halibut and Salmon. We use a combination of artificial lures and herring for bait.
Alaska Department of Fish & Game’s species:
- Chinook salmon otherwise known as kings, are Alaska’s biggest and most prized salmon. Kings can be caught year round, but the height of their season is late May through June.
- Coho salmon, or silvers, known for their acrobatics and hard fights are a favorite among most Alaskans. They start running in July and peak in late August and early September.
- Chum or dog salmon are running June and July and are great smoked.
- Pink salmon, or humpies, as they are commonly called start arriving in June and are around until August. They are normally canned and sold in the markets as pink salmon.
- Sockeye salmon or reds as they are called because they turn red when they spawn don’t normally eat herring or bite on artificial lures. The reds are around in June and July and can be caught by fly fishing with a special lure.
- Halibut’s season is from May to September with the fish moving into local waters in June, July and August. We have the required 6 fisherman permits to fish halibut in Alaska. We use two speed reels with 80lb Spectra line and 200lb class rods. We carry jigging gear as well as bait gear. We normally fish 180 to 400 feet. The rules for halibut limits change each year.
Whale Watching Tour
Watch humpback whales, bald eagles, and sea lions in beautiful southeast Alaskan waters.
This humpback is “spy-hopping”, or looking around.
Other Marine and Wildlife Occasionally Seen:
- Orcas(killer whales)
- Harbor seals
- Dahl porpoise
- Brown and black bears
- Deer and caribou
Prices are 15% less than the fishing charters. Call Call: 907-780-3591 | Toll Free: 888-462-1964 to make a reservation
Call us for the latest limits at Call: 907-780-3591 | Toll Free: 888-462-1964.